I just spent 30 minutes looking up how to be a better teacher of adults. I found some very useful information. For example, I discovered a new word. Andragogy, which is the word for teaching adults. I also learned something about preaching and teaching. It is part performance. One other thing that I learned is that adults learn differently than children, and that they need to be taught differently.
One thing that really jumped out at me is the idea of need to know learners. These are students who must have a reason to learn or to study. They need to know why learn in general. They need to know why is this necessary for me to know. They need to know if this subject is important to me today.
Newly planted seeds take a different method and regimen of care than a mature trees. A tree needs things that a seed does not yet understand or need. We have children's Sunday School for seeds. Adult Bible study is for more mature saints who have experienced some things in life.
One thing a teacher needs to do is to create some level of curiosity in his students. They need to not only make it true, but make it interesting as well.
So in thirty minutes of study online, I learned more about teaching adult Bible study than some pastors who have been teaching and preaching for years know now.
You can be a better preacher. You can be a better teacher. Put some work in on it.
No comments:
Post a Comment