Thursday, September 3, 2026

One Mouth, Two Ears

Some people are good talkers. Some people are good listeners. Good talkers think that everyone should talk more. Good listeners think that people should listen more. We all think people should be more like us. Some talkers talk just to hear themselves talking. Good listeners never hear themselves listening. Sometimes people do not talk because they have nothing to say. Some do not talk because they feel like no one will listen if they do talk.

God gave us two ears but only one mouth. We ought to listen twice as much as we talk. The problem with a big talker is, once you have heard him a few times,  you have heard all that he has to say.  Some people just talk, not because they have fresh ideas or new information, but because they need to talk. Consequentially, they repeat themselves. They say the same things over and over again.

Preaching is public speaking. There are things that work in public speaking and there are things that don't work in public speaking. A wise preacher will learn these lessons. It takes more than setting yourself on fire. 

I am a good listener. But when I have something to say, say it I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

TV Is Not Useful

 After living here for a while I noticed that things were happening locally and I would not find out about it until after it had happened. I...