Friday, July 24, 2026

New Bad Words

 As followers of Jesus we do not cuss. We do not use bad words. We do not drop F-bombs. We try our hardest to let no corrupt communication proceed from our mouths, as we read in Ephesians 4:29. We do not want to be found grieving the Holy Spirit by our words.

But in grief some people learn a whole new set of bad words that they say freely. These words sound reasonable under the circumstances. Some church folks use the same bad words in their daily lives. What are those words? Should have, ought to have, could have, etc. Or to put it into slang, woulda, coulda, shoulda.

 I should have done more. I should have paid closer attention,  I should have made the call, or paid the visit, or opened my mouth. If I knew then what I know now I would have behaved differently.

But we didn't know then what we know now. We did all that we could do under the circumstances. We did and said what seemed best at the time. Looking back only fills you with regret.

When Kathy was sick, pastor Mitchell gave us some good advice. He told us to do what the doctor told us to do. So we did just that. They did their best, and then Kathy died anyway.

So do yourself a favor and stop beating yourself up with those new bad words. It's time to move on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Bad Words

 As followers of Jesus we do not cuss. We do not use bad words. We do not drop F-bombs. We try our hardest to let no corrupt communication p...