I had a thought today. I wondered how hard it must be for a pastor, who has served his church for a long time, to say something new or fresh that he hasn't already said hundreds of times already. The preachable parts of the Bible have probably all been preached on. Nothing new has been added to the biblical cannon for a long time. And yet there we are, three times a week, listening for the voice of God from an ancient book and though a veteran pastor.
The only thing that makes the Bible relevant and fresh is the Holy Spirit who is the spirit of truth. A relationship with Christ who is the word made flesh and being filled with the Spirit of God causes old words to come alive again.
I go to church every time listening for God's voice and seeing if God will speak to me again. Often He does. Other times I eat the fish and spit out the bones.
Pray for your pastor that the word will be made flesh through his life and his ministry and that he will be encouraged to bring us sermons that are apples of gold in pitchers of silver. Amen.
PS: Not everything in the Bible is preachable. It is all God's word. It is all true. But some things and some passages just don't work as a three point sermon. Just saying.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.