"And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name they shall cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;" Mark 16:17
Speaking in tongues is common to us in our Fellowship. We do it all the time. But it is controversial or contentious to some who claim to be Bible believing Christians. The Bible talks about speaking in tongues.
Acts 2:4 says "and they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance."
Some people heard them worshipping in a foreign language, but not everyone did. Tongues are not for us to understand, it it only for God to hear.
"Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels..." 1Cor. 13:1
"Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them who believe, but to them who believe not;" 1Cor. 14:22
The record of the spread of the Gospel in the book of Acts tells that people who were filled with the Spirit in other places and at other times also spoke in tongues.
"For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God..."Acts 10:46
"And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came upon them; and they spoke with tongues, and prophesied." Acts 19:6
It is God's will that all who are filled with the Holy Spirit will first and foremost speak in tongues.
"I would that you all spike with tongues..." 1Cor. 14:5
"I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than you all:" 1Cor. 14:18
And finally, a word to those who use 1Cor.13:8 as an excuse for not being filled, I say obey the scriptures.
"Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophecy, and forbid not to speak with tongues." 1Cor. 14:39
I bet that those who are against speaking in tongues do not prophecy in church either.
The main question is not do people still speak in tongues when they get filled with the Holy Spirit. The question really is, why don't you speak in tongues?
"...Nevertheless when the son of man comes, shall He find faith on the earth?" Luke 18:8
No comments:
Post a Comment